Thursday, June 21, 2007

Crazy Quilt Project Detail 5, TAST

Last week I mentioned TAST in a post title. For those who don't know, this refers to a stitching challenge issued by SharonB of inaminuteago.com. You can read more about it here. Each week she introduces a stitch and challenges stitches around the world to try it out and see what they can do with it. Debra Spincic hosts a web ring for the challenge here and there are lots of photos on the Take a stitch Tuesday flickr group. The TAST challenge is about midway through. I first heard of it a few months back when I was taking a crazy quilting class from Sharon. As much as I might like to, I can't devote the time to fully take on the challenge each week. However, I thoroughly enjoy reading about each week's stitch and seeing some of the work others are doing. I have been able to try out some stitches that were new to me, like the up and down buttonhole and basque stitches. You can see how I used the up and down buttonhole here.
Here's a photo of my first attempt at basque stitch. It's not too bad and I'm sure I'll try it again.
The photo at the top of the page is another detail from my finished project. It fits in nicely with last week's TAST stitch, French knot. You can see three different ways I used French knots. I've sewn them in groups of three to add texture to a patch while leaving the the texture of the fabric visible. I used them as a filler on a lace motif. And I've used them with feather stitch and detatched chains on a seam treatment. There are many ways to use French knots and they show up in most of my stitching projects in one way or many.
Be sure to check out Sharon's stitch dictionary for instructions for these and many more stitches.

1 comment:

allie aller said...

I sure like the way you filled in the lace motif with those French knots. I've got to try that, thanks!