Thursday, May 03, 2007

Class Block Update

Today's seam turned out so well, I'd like to say it was planned this way. It wasn't, it was simply a matter of being determined not to give up on it. I wasn't happy with the silk ribbon attempt at grapes, but I hate to take anything out. It's just such a waste of time and materials. I had originally used 2mm silk ribbon. I meant to use 4mm, but was a good way into it before I realized that I picked up the wrong size. So instead of loose grape bunches, I ended up with these tight little knots of blah. The vine was done with two strands of linen floss in a palestrina stitch. You can see the original seam in a previous post. It was sparse and blah. So now that I've come to the beading phase, I thought I'd try adding some beads to try to save this poor pitiful seam. I didn't take anything out, just added the beads right over the ribbon knots and let them flow down into grape bunches. The ribbon knots give added dimension under the beads. I was so happy with the result, I added some hand dyed pearl cotton leaves and tendrils. The leaves are oyster stitch. The tendrils are loose, multi-wrap French knots. I used the same thread to whip the palestrina stitch vine. The added thread and variations in color give the vine a bit more body.

4 comments:

Thelma said...

I think it is so beautiful. It looks great. Your stitching looks so elegant. Love it!!!

Sharon said...

Kate the block is beautiful and you cannot tell that it is a save at all....very pretty.

annetteb said...

It looks great Kate and you would never guess you had trouble with it, it all flows together. Annette

Ati. Norway. said...

I love your block, the grapes turned very pretty with the beads!